Avocado mousse cake consists of three layers. The top layer chocolate ganache enhances the taste of its avocado mousse in the middle. Whereas the crust base provides an added crunch that could never go wrong.
Cannot say this enough but avocado and chocolate are a great combo for dessert. A lot of people might not know that, but I highly recommend giving it a try. If you like a chocolate avocado smoothie (popular drink in Indonesia), this will be a perfect recipe for you.
Apparently, avocado can turn bitter when cooked for a certain period. So for this recipe, make sure to remove the heated milk from the stove before adding the avocado mixture.
Avocado Mousse Cake
- 60 g (½ cup) digestive biscuit or graham cracker crumbs
- 40 g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter melted
- 9 g (1 tbsp) unflavored gelatin powder
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) cool water
- 150 g (2 qty) ripe avocados pitted
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 120 g (8 tbsp) whole milk divided into half
- 120 g (8 tbsp) heavy whipping cream divided into half
- 54 g (¼ cup) granulated white sugar
- 50 g (1.8 ounce) dark chocolate chopped
- 50 g (3 tbsp+1 tsp) heavy whipping cream heated until hot
- Pour melted butter into biscuit crumbs. Stir until well combined.
- Transfer into a cake ring or spring-foam pan. Spread evenly and press firmly onto the bottom. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Bloom the gelatin powder by sprinkling it on top of the cool water. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before using.
- Scoop avocado flesh into a food processor or blender. Add lemon juice and 4 tablespoons (60 g) of milk. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat 4 tablespoons (60 g) of milk and 4 tablespoons (60 g) of cream. Cook until it reaches 80°C (176°F) or hot to the touch but not boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in the bloomed gelatin until it is fully dissolved.
- Stir in the avocado mixture then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the rest of the whipping cream along with sugar until thickened. Fold and mix the whipped cream into avocado mixture.
- Pour mixture onto the prepared crust base. Smooth the top with an offset spatula if needed. Cover and store in the fridge overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Pour heated cream over the chocolate. Let it sit and melt for 3 minutes. Then stir slowly until mixture is silky and smooth.
- Pour chocolate ganache over the mousse cake. Spread it evenly by tilting the cake.
- To unmold the cake, firstly heat the sides of pan with a hair dryer. We can also wrap it with a hot towel. This will help to release the cake from its mold. Slice and best served while the cake is cold.